Saturday, October 11, 2008

Seriously Slacking...in this area of life

Wow.
So it's been a pathetically long time since my last update...
This week has been crazy. China night was a new kind of crazy. The massive amount of food that they had (catered in...my dreams of making a recipe book is slipping away) was absolute overwhelming. There was barely enough room in the warming ovens in the industrial kitchen to hold it all! They had at least 10 different main varieties of food, although we could only keep 8 chafing dishes running at a time. We almost ran into the same problem as last week - the chafing dishes were locked up in catering...and no one had the key. Turns out that the building manager (shocking...) has the key! Last time they had to call the poor woman back to work, and we still had to use the industrial sized ones from the hot room. It was quite the ordeal.

This week, even as I was running around trying to get everything set up in time, I realized I was having the time of my life. And getting paid for it. This is wonderful. I also realized that I can't wait to not be a poor college student. I know, I know, the real world sucks - but I hate knowing that everything I buy is pretty much putting me into debt twice. Student Loans...what a mixed blessing!

Let's see...oooh. Midterms...So I facebook stalked my dance partner (but told him, in order to avoid the inherit pathetic-ness of this measure...) - and it's a small, small world. His hometown is less than an hour away from mine, and he's dating a girl who went to my high school. As for the dancing part, it went pretty well. We didn't, by any means, get through all the moves. However, the smiling part (non-optional), was easy as our song was "The Rainbow Connection". Honestly, who can be upset with Kermit crooning in the background?

My midterm in Modern Grammar didn't massacre me, as I feared. I did decently, but will have to work harder for the next two tests. However, as more than half of the class got a C or below, the class is starting to thin out. I think I figured out that I technically don't need the course, but as I'm learning a lot I think it was a good decision. My other English midterm, Brit Lit, was pretty much a complete waste of time...busy work. It was open-book, open-note, so there wasn't a lot of independent thought required. On a side note, my essays are starting to drive the both of us nuts. He starts off by writing something snarky in the first paragraph (usually asking me if I'm going to support my claims), which drives me absolutely insane. Of course I'm going to back my claims up...that's why you're going to have to read the damn paper! That 's the whole point of a introduction. Then, he write a longish paragraph (about 75% legible, give or take 50) where he admits he has to give me a good grade, but has a slew of suggestions.

This is frustrating, as I know that I can write better papers...of course I can. The problem is the lack of motivation and good assignments. I literally wrote two papers for the last essay. The first was the paper he was expecting, the second was one that was actually a challenge. Did I have time to do this? Not really, but I'm that discontent with his course. I then asked him which one he wanted, (the first, second or both) and he only wanted the first, of course. I fully understand that he has a lot of work as it is, but I wish he could see how limiting his assignments really are. Be careful for what you wish for though, right?

Finally, I completed my art project. My grade was what I expected from him. He and I both know I can do better on the next one, so I'm satisfied for the time being. I'm also, of course, inordinately proud of my little gewgad, but that's besides the point. Oh, and it's extremely shiny.

At any rate, I should probably get back to doing more homework...I did the worst first already, but have a lot of reading ahead of me this evening...

No comments: