Thursday, October 2, 2008

Could You Show Me Your Hot Room?

So, I discovered what a "hot room" is today. It's a room in the basement of the building where I do the cultural nights at the university. It has a generator of some sort down there, and (believe it or not), it's hot. I got to see this room because of a chafing dish semi-fiasco. Actually, I was never really that worried, but that's besides the point. Sweden went very well, it was a good attendance, and without the craziness of India. The room the chafing dishes are in was locked, but they eventually got someone to come. I retrieved the dish, only to find out that they'd be needing two. However, the lady who had unlocked the door said they kept th big banquet ones in the "hot room". It didn't help that the next person I asked had absolutely no idea what room I meant. However, things went smoothly and we were even done relatively early.

Yesterday in ballroom dance was interesting, to say the least. I started out with a male TA, which went fine. I ended up with The Freshman, and it was pretty awful. Talk about a 180 personality change. He snapped at me twice when I misread his cues and very nearly dropped me when he dipped me. He spun me around so fast and carelessly that I almost freaked out. No apology either. Perhaps it's the fact that midterms are around the corner and reality is sinking in, but it made for a rather unpleasant experience.

To make matters more awkward. We had to "choose" partners for the dance...girls asked = free for all. I feel sorry for the guy I ended up with, as his face is about level with my shoulders. Almost. He has to go on tiptoe when I get twirled. However, he was much more enthused about the notion of dressing up and color coordinating (we made two rounds around the floor without him spinning me before he finally blurted out "Geez, I'm the guy and I'm the one really getting into this!"), as we get extra credit for it. He has good rhythm, and was a fun partner. I think we both feel confident about the test on Monday, so that's also a plus.

In metalsmithing, I ended up conceding a bit with my project. The more it got finished, the more flaws came up. However, on Wednesday it was pretty hectic with a lot of people farther behind than I was who needed the polishing machines for their first time, not second or third. When the instructor asked if I was pleased, I told him the truth, mostly. That I wasn't, but I'd fix it after I got it back from grading. That kind of threw him. I know I'm not a pro, but with the time restraints and people needing the machines, I should've realized sooner and corrected the mistakes before the last night. The most important thing for me is getting the piece to how I want it, not necessarily the grade. I'm not claiming this is entirely sane.

Ironically, I'm going to go finish my reading for tomorrow: Margery Kemp. Psychopath and anchorite groupie. The narrative has been quite interesting so far...Anyhow, I'm out.

No comments: