Monday, September 22, 2008

I'm getting Old.

Firstly, I'm getting old (and therefore lame) because I put off blogging twice last week, in order to go to bed. The first time was after I made the birthday cake for my German Professor (who was speechless and made the best class ever) and the second was the night before I had to drive for 4 hours. Which is the most boring 4 hour drive in existence. You literally only have to turn to get on and off of the highway. At least the road construction livened it up.

However, this means I am Seriously behind on dancing updates. Wednesday was a little awkward. They made the girls pick the guys. I know, I know, fair is fair and they really should make us do that. It's not like there's a fear of rejection, but I played it like almost every situation when I'm surrounded by guys I don't know. I actually have a theory about it, so now you have get to read about it. Lucky you! Anyhow, I think there are 2 types of girls in the world when it comes to situations such as this. The one type (hint hint, not me...) will run after the cutest guy they can find. The second type makes a beeline for the least threatening guy in the group. This has worked well for me, except one time. Which is how a guy I didn't know ended up calling his friend, who was Chris's friend who had to call me (because we weren't together) to ask if I liked this guy "more than just as friends". I met him once in my life and the basis of our conversation pertained to hobbits and homosexuality. I was disturbed as well.
However, I digress. I unfortunately had picked a guy who wasn't very comfortable either, and consequently we spent the whole song making only about 2 twirls. Daring. I later was able to dance with a male TA (although not the hilarious one). I was kind of excited - I figured he'd be a good leader. Well, he did lead, but we ended up lapping everyone else multiple times. This guy was cruising. Meanwhile, we did about 60 million turns, him repeating one move about 8 times - until he was positive I could do it. The worst part was his manner, which strong suggested he viewed it as a chore that he had to dance with anyone and was slightly appalled that I wasn't perfect. Yeah...I'll take the no-twirler any day over that....

I eventually made my way back to a guy that I really enjoy dancing with. Mostly. He's a great leader, moves with confidence and can keep time well. He's also the guy who's constantly counting in his eyes. After we'd learned a new move together, one of the TAs announced that anyone 21 or over was welcome to come to Buck's for dancing on Wednesdays. My partner muttered "Yeah...right. Raise your hand if you're 21 or over...that's what I thought" - and then he looked over. I'd jokingly raised my hand at his little snip...and apparently he was shocked that I was 21. Freshman. Pretty funny, actually. But maybe you had to be there.

Anyhow, today we almost all melted in that stupid little room. For whatever reason it felt like it was 100 degrees in there. We learned the "sweetheart" position. (I know...first "cuddle" and now this...). I had quite a few at least competent if not good partners and had fun. I have decided that approximately 50 percent of the guys are aviation students, 45 percent are freshman, and 5 percent are other. Although apparently I semi-offended one of my partners if I asked if he was aviation. He was a pretty shaggy looking guy, so I got a kick out of the fact that he's business.

My weekend was good, minus the boring-as-hell drive. It gave me an opportunity to go through my phone contacts and call some people that I hadn't reconnected with yet since coming back from Germany. I actually got a hold of a couple, so that was fun. I had a good time visiting old friends, and shocking a few who didn't know I was coming. When I got back on Sunday, Eric made Sunday Dinner for a group of (mostly his) friends. It was familiar yet strange at the same time.
Anyways, I should really start my homework now...sigh. Only a ton of pages in German to translate (well, portions of) and a play to do. Anyhow, I'm out...

No comments: