Monday, September 15, 2008

Manic Monday?

So, I actually like my Mondays SO much better than my Tuesdays/Thursdays, but today was still pretty busy...but I'm getting ahead of myself.

I went home this weekend, as there was an event with a parade and delicious food and my cousin wanted some pictures with the horses. The event was a letdown, although the parade went all right, it began to drizzle steadily as soon as it finished. The food vendors were much more sparse than usual and I was VERY disappointed to see that they didn't have fry bread this year - pretty much my favorite. I did get to see my friend KT for a little while and also hung out with my family. The pictures with the horses were a little difficult. The horse we used for my cousin was so relaxed we couldn't get her to look good with her ears perked forward. The one I used, however, was so jittery that we couldn't get him to keep his ears in any position and was always trying to wander around. I'd kept him semi-happy with some baby carrots. I was a little careless though, and let him lip my fingers...until he decided to chomp down on my thumb. Owwwwww! It's a little discolored and he broke the skin a bit, but it doesn't really hurt unless it gets pressed on. But really, who gets bitten by a horse?!?

The pictures turned out really nicely, due to the fact that we were allowed to use a Very nice camera. The rest of the weekend was filled with cards, family meals, church and plenty of talking - most of it by me, naturally. B. seems to be fitting in with the family well, and apparently he's the new hottie at the high school. Apparently word hasn't gotten out that he already has a girlfriend -something which makes my mother very happy. I got back home around 4:15 pm and managed to get some homework done.

Today in ballroom we learned how to get back on count (in a twirling manner much more difficult than just stopping and re-starting, but probably much more graceful if done correctly...), to get into and out of the "cuddle" (causing no end of jokes made by the male TA once again) and a dip from the cuddle position. I wasn't much for names today, but I did find out I danced with 3 aviation and 2 accounting majors and one unknown. The Unknown was one of the guys I've danced with before who's quite good. However, he resolutely spends the whole time completely silent and diligently striving not to accidentally make eye-contact. Because everyone knows that's how girls turn guys into stone. Duh.
Really, though, he's funny because he seems like a very hard-core perfectionist, yet also seems to be constantly counting - and thus the no-talking. Maybe I should think of something extremely shocking to say just to see if I can make him laugh (although I'd settle for a smile). Any suggestions?

Anyhow, I ended up with good ol' Wyatt at the end (after a guy who loved to bounce up and down...strange...) who is definitely much more confident and was fun to dance with because he could talk and keep a decent count. Previously, I had a very chatty (once again, freshman) who expounded on his theories of the class, while getting more and more lost to the beat and seemingly not caring. He postulated that the girls were almost all older because the class fills up quickly and that the guys took it because they'd thought it would be easy. I just assumed they took it because of a girlfriend or (more likely) to meet girls. He actually had a girlfriend in the class and it was sweet how he talked about her.

I had my first "day" at work...the guy at the front desk asked me where I thought I was going, and I had to explain that I just got hired - I think it may happen quite a few more times until I get to know everyone at least by face. I got the grand tour and started a little document design, although my computer didn't even have publisher so it was me and good ol' faithful Paint working together. Sigh. I work again on Wednesday and should have more to do.

Metalsmithing went well tonight - at least for me. My 9 or so saw blades I managed to massacre (and most more than once, as I'd use half a blade...) during the evening probably would have a different opinion on the matter. I think doing some of the detail work was so hard on the blades that they couldn't take the angle and pressure required. The lady across from me laughed, but was a in a similar position when her time came. We got lectured at a lot because the instructor has to be gone for at least part of next week. We got demos on using the torch for soldering (and seriously, why did we never use a sparker thingy in chem class????) and the "pickler". Which is basically a glorified crockpot filled with a solution that brings copper out (some sort of sulfide/nitrate mixture). The instructor said he thinks I'll like soldering...which of course intimidates the crap out of me. Sigh. At least I get to practice, and with any luck it won't be my own hair I set aflame.

Anyhow, enough procrastinating...homework?

1 comment:

Sandy M said...

Let's be clear here...I am glad that B. already has a girlfriend because that will make him less susceptible to the advances of the ladies. Although I am sure that it is flattering for him!